Western Belize is truly a “birder’s paradise“. It is home to some 540 species of birds. Over 200 species migrate back and forth annually. More than 40% of Belize is designated as protected areas which makes it a haven for exotic birds. It’s the perfect destination to search out the magnificent jabiru stork, the colorful & majestic Toucan, ornate hawk-eagle and blue-crowned motmot, scarlet macaws… and so many more.
We can arrange all-inclusive packages with knowledgeable local guides with a keen eye to spot the unnoticeable.
Meet and greet at Belize City international airport by a Go-Maya driver for a 90 minute drive to your jungle resort in the beautiful & pristine jungle of the Cayo District. Enjoy a wonderful Belizean dinner at your hotel, be sure to get a good night’s rest because the adventure begins at 6:00 am
On the second day Travel to the unspoiled ruins of El Pilar which is located on the border of Guatemala and Belize then travel to Laguna Aguacate, a freshwater lagoon in the Spanish Lookout area, which is home to a wide variety of water birds. The surrounding farmlands provide excellent habitat for several species of raptors.
On your third day journey across into Guatemala’s world famous Tikal Mayan Ruins as your experienced Yute Expeditions tour guide orientate you on what to expect from today’s Tikal bird watching tour.The Tikal National Park is home to 410 registered species, according to Randell A. Beavers, who published the most recent Tikal Bird Checklist in 1992. To the not modest list of resident bird species, 50 migrants may be added during the cold winter months in North America, when many beautiful songbirds make Tikal their winter residence. In this section, you may find suggested bibliography for your birding trip in Tikal, along with our own checklist- by no means as complete as the one found in Beavers’ book, and an article on migrant species, which we believe will be of interest. In addition to what is contained in this section. Birding with our guide will give you the chance to learn more about a number of species, your guide will know exactly where they may be seen. Going with a professional birder will enhance your experience, knowing exactly where to find nests and feeding grounds within the park’s perimeter. In this section we have included a list of the birds most commonly sighted at Tikal.
On day four we drive to the Beautiful Mountain Pine Ridge for day-full of Birding & refreshing dips in the Rio On Pools or Big Rock Falls. Or a graceful & refreshing canoe trip down or upstream on the Macal River as you guide points out the various species of exotic birds along the river bank.
On the fifth day we travel to your next destination, by land, air or water… your choice, or we can travel back to the Belize International Airport for your departure back home.
- Airport Reception (figure our who can do it & cost of this)
- Accommodations (4 nights in the Cayo District and 3 nights on Ambergris Caye)
- Hotel Taxes
- 4 Excursions as outlined in itinerary with professional English speaking guides
- 2 Lunch on tour
- Park fees to sites visited (except $10 US park fee to Hol Chan Marine Reserve which is paid directly)
- 1 Water Taxi transfer from Belize City to Ambergris Caye
- 1 Domestic flight from Ambergris Caye to Belize International Airport
- Hotel transfers
- Government Taxes. It is important as a tour company to acquire a reduced rate on all these services from the providers (where outsourced).
- Meals not mentioned
- Bar items with included meals
- Items of personal nature
- This package is not offered for arrivals during Christmas/New Year’s (Dec 19 – Dec 31/2010) and Easter (April 20 – 24/2011) due to higher rates and/or minimum night booking restrictions. Customized quotations available upon request.
- Bookings within 45 days of arrival will be accepted only if it joins a scheduled departure date.
NOTE: Hotels listed are suggested options but are not guaranteed until booking confirmation. Alternative hotels of similar type, quality and pricing will be substituted if necessary.